Zombieland: Review

Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg star in this horror comedy about a worldwide Zombie Apocalypse. Tallahassee (Harrelson) and Columbus (Eisenberg) join forces in the fight against the walking undead, the search for the last “Twinkie,” and the unfortunate search for the ultimate ride. A well balanced dose of horror and comedy make up this film, by director “Ruben Fleischer.”

Let me just start out by saying that I’m not a big fan of horror comedies. Some of the films, like “Return Of The Living Dead,” that were once deemed Horror Comedies, I don’t see to be comedic at all, so that’s why I love them so much. I wasn’t crazy about “Shaun Of The Dead,” regardless of it’s high praises, it just wasn’t really my thing. So when I originally read about this film, I figured it would be something along the lines of “Shaun Of The Dead,” so my hopes weren’t too high. Imagine my surprise when I watched this film to find that I actually DID ENJOY IT.

I felt that this film, to be a horror comedy, had just about the right amount of comedy thrown in. True, it wasn’t as gritty and serious as most of the zombie films that I know and love, but it was really entertaining. Odd enough, I don’t think I would have enjoyed the film as much as I did, if Bill Murray hadn’t been in it, lol, he just topped it off. The Zombies are your typical grotesque, bloody, brain hungry monsters, only most aren’t as slow as they are typically portrayed.

I would have knocked the comedy down a tiny notch here and there though. Mainly in the part where Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) was speaking of his departed son. Because he immediately says, after crying over his loss, that - and I quote “He hadn’t cried that much since Titanic.” I didn’t care for that scene, but couldn’t help LOL’ing when Bill Murray’s “Last Scene” came to screen.

Overall, to be a horror comedy, this film was enjoyable. So I rank it 4 out of 5 stars. However, I prefer my horror films, even though “Return Of The Living Dead” is one of my favorite films, to be more horror and less comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment