The Last House On The Left (2009)

How far would you go to protect and avenge someone you love with all your heart? This is what one family is faced with after their daughter makes her way home shot, beaten, and raped. To make matters worse, they have just unknowingly invited the culprits responsible into their home for the night. This is one stay that won't have the luxuries of a mini bar, cable TV, and room service. Instead they will be served a large portion of brutal vengeance, in this modern retelling of the classic 1972 film by horror legend Wes Craven.

I love Wes Cravens work, but I've never been a huge fan of the original, so I didn't really know how well I would like this film. To my surprise, this is one remake that I actually enjoyed, if you can call it that without being creepy. This film is way more brutal than I had originally expected. It did a great job of building and maintaining suspense, keeping me on the edge of my seat. The victim-characters were easy to connect with. I could feel their fear, pain, anger, and disgust, and when vengeance finally found light, I was relieved. The ending death lacked the depth that I was expecting, I felt it could've been more elaborate and drawn out. Don't get me wrong, it was a good creative attempt, but was a little campier than I had expected. Had I written this film, it would've definitely have been banned, because I would've given the ending death-character exactly what he had given out and then some, eventually following up to the actual demise-scene I call the "Hot-Dog In A Microwave" scene. Overall, I personally rate this film 4.5 out of 5 stars, it won me over, and I highly recommend it to anyone whom is not of the squeamish category.

No comments:

Post a Comment