The Unborn

Casey Beldon is a normal college student with a normal college life. She has a charming boyfriend (Cam Gigandet) that her loving friends envy. Everything seems to be going great, until she starts to experience a supernatural phenomenon that she cannot explain. She soon finds herself in a fight against the supernatural force, a fight to save not only herself, but those she loves as well!

At first, I didn't think I was going to like this film. The theatrical trailer and what I had read about the storyline just didn't seem to appeal to me. The only real reason that I ended up watching it, was because it starred Twilight's Cam Gigandet, whom I'm a huge fan of. When the film began, the eerie soundtrack began to play, it instantly had my immediate attention. However, when I saw a dog wearing a mask, I almost burst out loud laughing, but then it hit me, this must be a dream.

The film is basically about a spirit called a "dybbuk" that is trying to enter its way back into our world, gaining existence by possessing the bodies of the weak and the dead. It has its sights set on a specific girl, because of a particular connection with her, which you later learn about in the film. I won't give away too many details, but I will say that this film has quite a few scenes that are totally creepy, as well as a few gory-related scenes involving bugs, and if you hate bugs it will definitely give you chills. I actually was somewhat pleased with the outcome of this film, but not too keen on the outcome of a few of it's characters, earning it a rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with this review. The unborn was two stars or below at best when it comes to quality. Sure this film had a couple of jumpy parts, but some of the acting and dialogue was unintentionally funny and ridiculous. All of the scare scenes appeared to be borrowed from other horror films like the Eli walk and the crappy visual effects on the cartoon kid behind the mirror. The film was mainly promoted by featuring the lead actress in her underwear. The only saving grace was Gary Oldman who some how still has his reputation after this wreck. Why did Oldman even bother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of horror films borrow from other horror films, some call it “paying homage“, some call it “Ripping off an original idea”, it depends on ones point of view. Sometimes a film can have a strong effect on the viewer, so when (Or if) they eventually make their own film, they include an idea that was so inspirational to them. I liked this film as much as I did, because I had very low expectations before seeing the film, That and I had only read a brief synopsis of the film, not a single review, so I had nothing to subconsciously sway my opinion one way or the other. I suppose Gary Oldman took the part the same way any actor takes a part, on his gut feeling that it would be a success. Sometimes an actors gut feeling is dead-on and sometimes it’s dead-wrong. Regardless this film wasn’t a total waste for me, but it’s just one of those films, like so many others, that some viewers will like and some will not.

    ReplyDelete