Night Of The Comet (1984): Review

The whole world is celebrating and disintegrating in this 1984 film about the imminent arrival of a comet not seen in over 65 million years; Everyone that is, except sisters Regina & Samantha. Upon daybreak the two discover that the comet has reduced virtually everyone to a pile of orange dust, and those not fully disintegrated have been turned into killer zombies.

Imagine waking up one morning and everyone around you has been reduced to a pile of orange dust. If that isn’t horrifying enough, imagine that those that haven’t been reduced to dust are either: killer zombies, or blood-seeking vampire scientists. This film does a phenomenal job of being: extremely fun, scary, and entertaining, making it one of my favorite films of all time!

I cannot even recall how many times I have actually watched this film, but the number has bound to have reached one hundred, if not more, by now! It’s one of those films that, after watching it, makes me extremely paranoid of comets, lol. I mean, I know it’s a work of fiction, but it does make you think of how powerful comets could possibly be.

I really liked Regina & Samantha, I just found them really likeable and I wanted to see them overcome the obstacles thrown at them. I didn't really expect Regina to turn into Mrs. Brady towards the end though. I much preferred the cooler 80's style that Samantha had, just because the burden of civilization has fallen upon you doesn't mean you have to turn into Mrs. Brady, Regina! ;)

In the end, I wish Audrey (Mary Woronov) could have ended up making the journey along with Regina, Samantha, Hector, Danny (DMK), Sarah, & Brian. She was the only decent member of the "Think tank" group. She was completely unselfish, she had a heart and she cared, which is more than I can say for the rest of the group. But in reality, if something like this were possible, if people did survive, you can bet that some of them would be self-absorbed asses, so that part of the plot is extremely realistic!

RATING: 5 out of 5 stars
REVIEW UPDATED: JAN. 14, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment